We can’t talk about our story, or the history of Ruby, without first talking about that of our founder, David Ruby. Dave says that if you grow up in western Pennsylvania (aka “steel country”), only two things are certain: you are a Steelers fan and steel is the material of choice. It is on this backdrop that he began an incredible career.
Upon graduating from Rensselaer, Dave joined American Bridge Division of US Steel and was soon transferred to Chicago during the boom of high-rise construction. As the structural project manager for the John Hancock building, the Sears Tower and the Standard Oil building, he got a first-hand look at how buildings should be designed and erected. Constructability was critical to getting these jobs done, and Dave learned how this approach and philosophy could be used to increase communication, efficiency and safety throughout the construction process.
Fast forward to 1984, when Dave founded Ruby and Associates – a structural engineering firm devoted to serving the construction industry.
Ruby was established to:
- provide answers, not questions.
- approach design as a step along the way, not the final product.
- provide clear, common sense solutions to everyday problems.
- introduce the concept of Constructability to the structural steel industry.
- engage in community and industry activities that enhance the engineering profession.
For over 30 years, Ruby has stayed true to these tenets.
In 2007, Dave began to transition the company to the next generation of leaders, and in 2011, his daughter, Tricia Ruby, took the reins of the firm as President and CEO. Dave transitioned to Chairman and continues to provide technical mentorship to our staff. Today, Ruby is comprised of an incredibly talented group of engineers, from 30-year veterans to new grads from top universities, but our focus remains on the success of our clients.
Constructability is the application of collaborative design, in-depth construction knowledge and real-world experience in support of our clients’ goals.
Constructability expands the parameters that can be considered in design decisions. It allows us to proactively consider all aspects of the construction process, and facilitate a more thorough design. It helps us to identify structural limitations early on, capitalize on opportunities that can reduce construction downtime and costs, and ultimately create a structure that is more efficient with its use of resources.
There are just a few things that we hold to be true throughout our organization. They are how and why we're able to do what we do.
With experts licensed as Professional Engineers and/or Structural Engineers in 43 states, 3 provinces, and the District of Columbia, we're able to deliver high-caliber structural steel solutions throughout the U.S. and Canada. Ruby currently provides engineering services in the states of New York and North Carolina through Ruby Engineering, P.C.
We're also helping to engineer extraordinary structures all around the globe!
We’re proud to be a part of some of the most respected and recognized organizations in the industry.
- Associated Builders and Contractors Western Michigan (ABC)
- American Council of Engineering Companies Nat'l (ACEC)
- American Council of Engineering Companies Michigan (ACEC)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Welding Society (AWS)
- Associated General Contractors of Michigan (AGC)
- Association of Iron & Steel Technologies (AIST)
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- Construction Association of Michigan (CAM)
- Council of American Structural Engineers (CASE)
- Design Build Institute of America (DBIA)
- The Engineering Society of Detroit (ESD)
- Great Lakes Fabricators & Erectors Association (GLFEA)
- Michigan Society of Professional Engineers (MSPE)
- National Council of Structural Engineers Associations (NCSEA)
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Specialized Carriers and Rigging Association (SCRA)
- Structural Engineers Association of Illinois (SEAOI)
- Structural Engineers Association of Michigan (SEAMi)
- Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
- Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS)